Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Breaking Dawn Review

*SPOILERS AHEAD* IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE ENTIRE BOOK DON'T READ MY REVIEW!!

I just finished the book and let me just say, I have definitely mixed feelings about it. I loved the beginning and was so happy to be back in the world of Edward and Bella again. The wedding and honeymoon were great too and then the tables turned a little bit. I thought the whole pregnancy was weird. I kept picturing this alien child with bright green scary eyes and it just disturbed me! I have actually been a big fan of Jacob throughout all the books (I love Edward more) but in this book he really irritated me. The whole book from his perspective was not my favorite. Bella REALLY was getting on my nerves during the pregnancy. It was as if she had no respect for the Cullens and if they lived or died didn't matter because she was going to have this baby no matter what. I just hated how it was all about her and if she wanted to snuggle with Jacob in front of Edward that was cool .Whatever! She is married!! The weirdest part was how Edward was totally cool with Jacob and her having a baby together. That was so not necessary! I also was annoyed with Rosalie and Bella's friendship all of a sudden. What happened to Alice, is she chopped liver? I thought the delivery of the baby was WAY graphic. I don't think I will ever read that part again. Okay, all my rants are over and we can start with the good stuff.

I loved how she wrapped it all up. Although the imprinting was definitely weird with Jacob and Renesmee, it made it more believable that he could be over Bella but that they could still be friends. I loved how Bella transformed and discovered all of the abilites she had as a vampire that she didn't human. I loved the vampires coming from all over the world to help Carlisle. I really liked the Garrett character and would like to see if she will do any more on him and Kate. Anyone else agree? I am glad that she is still able to keep contact with Charlie and that he was finally able to find someone to be with that makes him happy. My favorite part was the last pages of Edward being able to read her mind and her going through all of her memories. It made it all come together into a great ending. I'm sad it's over but atleast I can get back to normal life again! Thank you Stephenie Meyer for this wonderful series. It has gotten me into reading again.

*Please share your thoughts/opinions on the book with me. I would love to hear your insight!

14 comments:

Ann Marie said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. All of the bad reviews I have read today are really getting to me since I loved it. People are CRAZY! All sorts of people are attacking Stephenie Meyer, and I see that soo wrong. This is her story and love it or hate it it's hers. She has me sold, and the things I have read that people don't like are soo trivial.
I think the more people really digest it, and think things through, the more they'd like it. I have noticed that more married thirty something moms like it better than the teens. -- no brainer there-- but I read a review today that made me think.. huh... They said that:

Book 1 sums up twilight
Book 2 sums up new moon
Book 3 sums up Eclipse

When you think about it... It's true!
Some things were weird, predictable, unexpected, loved and hated, but isn't that what makes a good book and story???
I LOVED IT! I could write more positive things on my blog the more I think about it!

Matt & April Herman said...

Ok so you are going to laugh at me. Remember how i was so against reading these books because i hate vampires? Well, my friend here wore me down and i read the first book in 2 days, well 24 hours technically. I am pretty much in love with twilight so now i have to read the rest of them. I didn't read your review, so i will still be suprised:) It was so good. I hope the rest are just as great:)

Adhis said...

Do you really want ME to share my thoughts and opinions??? J/K

Stephenie used to hang out with us nerds on an online forum before she wrote a book about a dream she had and got a little busy. One of the "nerds" posted a partial interview with Stephenie answering questions people had about Breaking Dawn/characters. It's halfway down the page and posted by "Lady Celtic." SPOILERS AND EXPLANATIONS

Yeah, aren't you surprised I'm sharing that with you?

No, I haven't read the books.

Kat said...

I love your comments. I really enjoyed the book. The middle kind of went slow, like the second book, but after it went back to Bella's point of view, I really enjoyed it. I can't wait until Edward's book comes out because I do have to admit that the first book is still my favorite. The third comes in a close second. :)

Ashleigh said...

I hear you . . . I was actually disappointed for a lot of the same reasons. I felt like we also lost the intimacy between Bella nd Edward (conversation and physical) and they became almost a typical, realistic married couple. I did read the book for realistic. And biggest, which you didn't mention . . . what kind of a name is Renesmee. Everytime I had to read it over and over it made it mad because I think it's such a terrible name. She did wrap it up really well and you felt like everyone was happy and on their way. Anyway, we should still talk.

Miss Megan said...

Amen Sister! Thanks for letting me call and chat/vent/rave to you! I hope you have a great anniversary this weekend...call me sometime next week when you aren't so busy! XOXO

Miss Megan said...

P.S. Good luck with the marathon! I'll be thinking about you...

The Adams Family said...

I agree about the whole pregnancy thing. I kept thinking the baby had huge eyes and a big head for some reason. But I did like how she rapped it all up in the end and that Jacob wasn't wanting her anymore. The whole baby things was weird but I kept thinking about myself and if I would give up a baby and I probably wouldn't so I started being okay with it. I love how I treat this like its a real story that why I love the book so much!

Katy said...

I pretty much ditto everything Kat said. Totally agree.

I liked the book overall and really enjoyed reading it. The pregnancy was weird, and the middle section of the book was the least enjoyable. However, it was fun to get inside Jacob's head for a little while.

Edward being willing to have Jacob and Bella make a baby together WAS pretty dumb, BUT to me it was making the point about just how desperate Edward was for Bella to end that pregnancy, and how absolutely sure he felt it would kill her if she didn't. He'd do anything (even have her make a baby with another man) to keep her alive. As a desperate idea from someone who was just grasping at straws, it wasn't all that offensive to me. I am just glad the book didn't actually lead up to that, because THAT would have been too much.

I, too, hated the name Renesemme. What in the world?!

Amy said...

I agree with you on most of your comments about the book especially the baby part. I thought it was interesting how she threw that in...I didnt expect it. But the whole time during the pregancy part, I kept picturing the movie alien....when the babies eat there way out and pop out with these teeth and eyes!! Creepy!! I also didnt like the Jacob point of view that much either. Loved the ending when she realized her potential as a vampire and I also loved Garett!! He has some Kahonas!! haha! Anyways, I finished this morning so now I can give my kids some attention!

Amy said...

Just finished, and i got to say...didnt really like it. I agreed with everything you said, but for me, i dunno why i thought the end was kinda anti climitic. You think im ganna be hunted by the hard core fans cause of this opinion. ;) ! still is my favorite with 3 close behind. Gotta admit though, 2 is my least favorite.

Aubrey said...

Go to my personal blog to see my "thoughts and insights" :)

Brooke said...

Well, I am way disappointed with the whole stinking book. I haven't even finished it and don't know if I can. It's all too weird. I also loved the wedding and honeymoon part and then it all went downhill. Deep down I was hoping she would stay human, but that freaky baby stopped that. The whole part with Bella laying on the couch dying with pain went on forever, I was so over that part. And the imprinting thing....WEIRD! And all the vampires coming from afar....RETARDED! That is where I'm at in the book right now. A lot of people kept telling me...oh it gets better keep reading. And so many ladies read the book in a day and couldn't put it down, I'm having a hard time picking it up. I was so sad, I wanted more love and more Edward being his hot self, instead I just got weird stuff, like alien baby growing 2 years in one day. My absolute favorite book was Eclipse then Twilight. This book gets 10 thumbs DOWN! Wow I just realized I wrote a book myself!

Adhis said...

10 thumbs??? Uh, you're one to talk of weird alien babies...