Thursday, October 07, 2010

Feeling Domestic

This is just a small sample of all the jars I have canned these past few weeks. First I did some salsa with my sisters. This was a first for me, but was pretty easy and the salsa is delicious!! I shared it at bunco night with my girlfriends and they all loved it too, so we planned a night for me to teach them how to make it. It was so much fun canning with friends, and we got 82 pint jars canned in one night! Pretty awesome. I haven't canned peaches in about 5 years and was missing them as my topper for pancakes and waffles, so my mom and I decided to can some together. She also had a neighbor give her a recipe for apple pie filling which we had both received as a Christmas gift before and loved. We canned ALL DAY (about 9 hours) and got so much done. It was so fun to spend some alone time with my mom just talking about life and laughing. We also turned on the Beatles and danced and sang around the kitchen. I loved it! All in all I now have 34 pint jars of salsa, 19 quarts of peaches, and 16 quarts of apple pie filling. I feel so accomplished and loved lining the jars on my food storage shelf. I go down and stare at them sometimes! ha ha
A post wouldn't be complete without a few cute pictures of my kids! Claire loves her daddy so much. It melts my heart.
Carter loves to play with his little sister. He still loves to kiss her all the time and talk in a baby voice to her. It is hilarious to hear him talk just like I do to her. You don't think they pay attention to you, until they copy word for word everything you say! Yikes!
The blue eyes are here to stay folks. I love them!

7 comments:

Marcella said...

Heather I am SO PROUD of you!!! That is amazing and so fun! I am actually really jealous too. I want to learn how! Next time count me in and we can have a party. I like to sing and dance and talk and laugh and lets not forget EAT!!!

Janet said...

That is awesome!Before i got married my mom and me and 3 sisters would can our whole huge garden. I kind of miss it. Way to go!

Laura said...

You ARE domestic!! Way to go... I canned NOTHING this year (such a slacker!). Um, claire's cheeks are so squishy... I need to see her sometime to love on her!! You have the cutest kids! :)

Kristen said...

You rock! I've been busy canning too and it feels good... when you're done. =o) I finished a bunch right before our trip and I had kind of forgotten. When I walked into the storage room for the first time when I got back, I was shocked to see the full shelves and I actually cheered out loud! Okay, I'm a nerd. I can picture you and your mom dancing around. Always having a good time.

Gardner Family said...

Go Heather! The next time I am back in Utah for a long period of time, I am requesting an invite to can with you. I dream of canning!

Dan makes awesome homemade salsa. We grabbed a few mason jars and saved some of it for Monday night football. I need to learn the canning skills so I can be more domestic than my hubby! :)

PS I think I would stare at my canning loveliness also. You should be proud!

The Atheys said...

I am so jealous of your domestic skills!! I am embarrassed to say that I have never canned a thing in my life, so next time you do it let me know and I can glean from your expertise!! And P.S. Your kids are SO adorable!! I want to kiss Claire's cheeks off!!:)

Jolley's said...

You little Diva you! I'm too scared to can. Maybe one day ;)