Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring break cabin trip

What an eventful trip to the cabin this year! It is our kids' spring break this week so when Mel invited us to go up with them to the cabin, we jumped at the chance! She was watching Kevin and Bethany's kids while they were in San Francisco, so we had 12 kids up there! It was crazy!
Claire and Chase were little buddies. They loved smiling at each other and poor Chase had Claire climbing all over him the whole time.
We got to the cabin late Sunday night and then the next morning Carter took a trip to the ER. He was in the garage (which he was told to stay out of) looking for a sled. He found one and was pulling it out and tripped on the string at the front of it and banged his head on the back of a snowmobile. We tried gluing it together with medical glue, but it kept bleeding so we decided it needed to be stitched up. The above picture is for Megan-we walked into the room and this wallpaper was on the wall. Megan had this wallpaper in her playroom when we were growing up-I instantly recognized it and it brought back lots of memories! Maybe time to change the wallpaper Evanston hospital?
Here is the cut that we waited 4 hours to have sewn up! Carter was so upset and would not settle down enough to get stitched up so we were going to give him a shot to make him loopy. I told him that if he wanted a toy after he would have to tell me what he wanted before he got the shot otherwise he wouldn't remember. It was that that made him decide against the shot and just be brave and get the stitches. He wanted to be the one to pick out his OWN toy. Kids are so funny. It was really hard to see him in pain and have to hold him down while they did it. I felt so bad for him. I am sure he will never forget that experience. He did manage to get a sweet lego dragon set out of it though, so it wasn't all bad!
Here are the stitches today. He gets them out tomorrow, which I am sure will be interesting. I love the pose he is doing in this photo-with no direction from me. haha
The next day James and I went cross country skiing for the first time. It was quite the experience. It was super icy and we stayed on the main road which had lots of snowmobile tracks. I managed to fall like 100 times and got huge bruises on my hips and hands. Not fun. The next day Mel and Carl went and she talked me into going again where they went. The snow was perfect powder and no tracks anywhere. It was so much fun! A completely different experience from the day before. I am glad I decided to try it again.
No cabin trip would be complete without some snowmobile rides!
We pulled this big sled behind the snowmobile to accommodate all the kids! They had a great time going over bumps and "the roller coaster".

Carl and Mel before cross country skiing


Eating breakfast with the boys Kale, Carter, Blake, Brevin

Brynlee and Preston
Some other fun events of the cabin trip were-Carl getting the suburban stuck in the snow the first night, dealing with the care taker at 11 at night with his shirt off, having the power go out for 4 hours and almost packing up and going home...we didn't have the best luck I guess! It ended up being great even with all of that happening. We had lots of relaxing time, magazine and book reading, yahtzee and boggle playing, wii playing, ping pong, sledding, and lots more. I think this will be our last mini trip for awhile! James can't handle Claire crying in the car anymore! haha

3 comments:

Mel said...

I love your recaps! You are a good writer. The Claire crying comment was hilarious. I'm glad we take road trips together!

Miss Megan said...

I am so glad you took a picture of the wallpaper! Totally made my day, and yes, took me back to 1990 for sure! Good times in the playroom - barbies, babies, ponies, dress-ups, you name it we did it! Glad you guys had a fun trip, and of course a vacation just wouldn't be complete without a little drama. :)

Gardner Family said...

Wow...that is a lot of kiddos!

And I can only say I am sorry that Claire is not into the road trips yet. Ben had issues with altitude pressure and car sickness a few times before we figured out that all we needed was a little dramamine and motrin! Knock em out! ;) Just teasing.....

I pray our soon to be Isabella enjoys the road more than Claire! Because knowing us we will be dragging her everywhere in the car.

PS I am so happy you had a better snow trekking expereince the second time around!