For once I, James, will actually be writing a post on our blog. I just completed my first ever Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 run). I want to give a little background as to why I wanted to do this before giving you my race report.
Where to begin with this story. 5 years ago I did my first Sprint Triathlon with my Brother in Law Carl. I was 215 lbs and completely out of shape. I progressed over the years and did a half Ironman 2 years ago, I struggled through with no idea what I was really doing. I had watched the Ironman Championships in Kona on television every year thinking how great it would be to finish that distance. After hurting my knee playing indoor football (soccer) last year I did not have a single race planned. I was invited to compete on a team for a mud run called the Dirty Dash just as I was starting to run again. On that team was James Lawrence, the Iron Cowboy, who is working on setting a world record for most Ironman races in one season http://www.facebook.com/Ironcowboy?ref=ts#!/Ironcowboy. I got talking to James and he said "you should do one with us". That put it into my mind and after lots of persuading, Heather agreed.
After a year off I got started early and did as a lot of people do and downloaded a basic training plan and started working. After a few months of this and talking with James he agreed to coach me and help me train and prepare for the St George Ironman. I would have been completely lost without his tuition, guidance, encouragement and wealth of knowledge. I remember sending him the info on what I thought was an energy drink, lets just say it had about as much energy in it as a dead battery. He also invited me to train on the course with a group, I am so glad I was able to go to learn the intricacies of the course.
So training for one of these races is no joke, early mornings, late nights, weekends taken up for swims, bikes and runs. Not only is it time on my part but it is time away from my family. Heather has been great, I can remember numerous times that she would come back early from a friends house so that I could go train. I remember the times that she would run kids around while I had to complete long rides. We knew that to get to the finish line it would be a team effort.
So before we get into race day I want to share why this was such a desire of mine. As a kid I was bigger and thicker than other kids, I played multiple sports but was bullied for being "fat. I was built like a sprinter and that is what I did, I ran events up to the 400 meters. In my later teenage years that bullying and image that I had of myself manifested itself into Anorexia. I went days without eating, over exercising, in the hope that one day I would fit in. After lots of counseling, support from my Family I started to win the fight and beat it when I met Heather, who appreciated me for me and not for what I looked like. So why do I tell you this? No matter how much you think that you have "beaten Anorexia" there is a lingering demon at the back of your mind, the voices of the bullies resonating as clear as day. I wanted to beat them all, I wanted to prove that no matter what I look like, what my body shape was, that I could do something extraordinary. Something in a setting where, when you cross a line that you become something only a few will ever be able to do, to show my kids that no matter what people say about you or where you are supposed to fit in that you push yourself to achieve things that some thought would be impossible for you to do.
The triathlon community is awesome, I have made some great new friends over the last year and it is amazing to have people building you up. To be in a race and run with complete strangers because you both have the same goal, the finish line. There is no judging on what you are wearing, what you look like, there is just unique spirit that you want everybody to achieve their goal.
1 comment:
Great Recap James! You are awesome and we love you just the way you are!!! So so so sooooooo proud of you! Wish we were at the finish line. You have to do it again so we can come for sure!!! Amazing!!!!
Post a Comment