Monday, September 03, 2007

The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done

This past Saturday I ran the Salt Lake Half Marathon! My sister-in-law Bethany and I have been training for this since June and we thought we were totally prepared for it, which we were...kindof. This is us before the race started. It was at 7 so we were freezing waiting for it to start.
James was standing on Little Dell Bridge the starting point of the race to take this picture. And we're off! This was the hardest part of the race and what we were completely unprepared for...4 miles of straight hills!!
This was us about 7-8 miles in. We were feeling good at this point, the hills behind us and just pushing it to the end.
The last mile was the hardest part of the race for me(besides the hills). I hit the 12 mile marker and was totally spent. I had to stop and walk and Bethany was in a rhythm and said if she stopped she wouldn't be able to start again, so we got split up the last mile. I started to run again and then saw my mom and sister up ahead cheering me on. I almost started to cry just seeing them there, it meant so much to me. They ended up running with me to the finish line and I really needed them! I had visions at the beginning that I would be "sprinting" the last mile, yeah that didn't happen, but I did sprint for about the last 20 seconds of the race. I did it!!
Here is the whole crew that came (except James taking the picture). Megan and Leah came with their TEAM HEATHER shirts which was a crack up. They got lost and didn't get to see me finish which they were bummed out about, oh well, the shirts were awesome and it was the thought that counts right? This was such an awesome experience and I am hopefully going to do it again next year. We are talking about doing the Provo one next time to see if it might be a bit easier with less hills! Thanks to all who came, it meant so much. Thanks especially to Bethany for being my running partner and pushing me the whole way through. Without her I probably would have quit a long time ago. Also thanks to James for watching the kids every Saturday for my long runs. He was my biggest supporter, what a great husband I have. I made this goal in January to do this and am so proud of myself for sticking to it and accomplishing this REALLY HARD goal!!

7 comments:

Miss Megan said...

TEAM HEATHER! Wahooo! I'm so proud of you...seriously, like Richard Simmons before you, you are an inspiration to all of us! I'm glad you were able to push through that last mile and make it running across the finish line. I certainly couldn't have done it! I'm just sorry I missed it. :( Oh well, next year, right?

Anonymous said...

SO I am DEAD serious about wanting to train with you and do it next year!! Dan did 8 miles in 1 hour at the gym today. He is in too! He said he'd rather do the triathalon with James though. Maybe the half marathon will be a girls thang and the triathalon a guys thang... ;)We'll have to have a group get together and hang out so Dan can meet James. I am so happy to be back!

GO TEAM HEATHER!

Leah :)

Nicole said...

I am so impressed! I have always wanted to be a runner, but my indurance stinks. I was working on it when I got pregnant with Jaxton. I was finally up to running about 5 minutes at a time, I know that is a little pathetic, but I was getting there. I have got to get back to it. Good job, you should be so proud of yourself!
NIcole

Ashleigh said...

So, so impressed! Congratulations! I can't even run to the end of my street. Though someone recently suggested a good "running mix" for my ipod would do the trip . . . ummm yah, right.

Natalie Que said...

HEATHER! That is so great, I totally forgot that it was coming up, we didn't even talk about it last week! Seriously, you are so awesome, I can't believe you! Huge, Huge, Congrats, that has to feel so good to have set the goal and stuck with it to the end. Way to go!

Marie said...

Heather, congratulations!! Not only is it an ENORMOUS accomplishment to run a half-marathon, but it's also wonderful that you were able to accomplish a goal! It always feels great to do that! :D

Jolley's said...

You look AMAZING..and you are definetly my inspiration! Way to go!