Here is some of us carb-loading the night before at the best place ever, Brick Oven.
Monday, August 11, 2008
Half Marathon #2 Completed!!
This race turned out to be a lot different than what I had in mind. I have learned quite a few things from this race as compared to the last. One being to try to train on the course you are running BEFORE you run it on race day. I had been training on a flat surface and this race was downhill which I thought would be easier. It was in some ways but it killed my knees and made me get blisters on my toes, both of those things I hadn't experienced before the race. I also ended up having to go #2 halfway through (sorry if that was too much info!) and found out I had a stomach bug that lasted the rest of the day. It was pretty brutal. I have a lot to learn!
Here are my number one supporters on race day- James even made the cutest shirts for the boys to wear. They were a hit!
It said "My Mummy ran the Provo half marathon and all I got was this t-shirt." So funny!
Here are the four of us at the finish line Bethany, Melanie, me, and Brooke

Here is us running toward the finish. Brooke finished about 30 minutes before us and decided to run back and find us and cheer us on the rest of the way. She kept me going when I wanted to stop and told me to just pick up my knees and finish! Thanks Brooke, I needed your encouragement. By mile 10 I pretty much crumbled and was finished. I had to walk a lot and I appreciated Melanie and Bethany for staying with me the whole way so that we could all finish together. I killed their chance of getting a good time, but it was nice to go through the finish holding hands and knowing that we had done it all together. I love these girls! I was so proud of them and they were doing so awesome. Bethany said she could have gone for 5 more miles! Thats the hard thing about running, you have great days and then you have bad days, I guess it was one of my bad days. I am still proud that I finished, and I actually did beat my time from last year, but feel a little disappointed knowing that I could have done better on a different day. Life goes on! I guess this will push me to do another one and keep improving. Well maybe tomorrow after my body doesn't feel like I'm 90 years old...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
congrats! I am so impressed that you do this running thing! Ran 1 5K and haven't ran since! I love the t-shirts, too!
My "mummy"... teeheehee.
Wow- you've done two half-marathons which means you've done a marathon!
That's how I would bill it anyway.
You were awesome. Don't beat yourself up about it!!! We did a great job and it was way fun to do it with you guys! Congrats!!
Great Job Heather! I know what you mean about good days and bad--and it stinks to be sick on race day! That course is a little weird--the mile markers are never very accurate and it is hard to get a bathroom without waiting a long time. But you did it and finished and that is awesome! Love those t-shirts!
That is so awesome that you like to run. Great job.
Heather that is so cool you did this!.. That is one thing I probably will never do no matter how much I love to exercise. I hate running! So I admire you for completing the race. Good job!!
I already left you a comment on your myspace page. But I'll say it again........YOU ROCK! GO HEATHER! I am so proud of you gals!!!!! And you look so amazing! Way to go for setting goals and accomplishing dreams!
And the shirt is THE coolest thing I have ever seen..........
PS I am SO sorry about the the #2 feeling and the knees. Did your shins hurt big time when going down hill? My shins always kill when I run down hill. I have shin splints though from soccer days....
OK seriously, KUDOS to you girlfriend! I'm sorry the race wasn't exactly how you envisioned it, but I guess you learn from it and appreciate the best parts. I think that is really sweet that Bethany and Mel stayed with you the whole way. Now those are true friends! Yeah for you!
Heather, You are so awesome! Great job on the half marathon. I love the shirts that James made.
You're amazing! Way to go!
I LOVE Brick Oven. Ben and I lived a block from there for our first year of marriage. I walked past it every day on the way to BYU while I was pregnant so I constantly craved it. I love their pasta bar. And salad bar. Oooohhh... Yummy!
Congrats! That is so amazing! And I am loving that shirt, too cute!
I love those t-shirts! How awesome...I'm so impressed that you have ran not just one 1/2 marathon, but 2! I seriously don't think I could do that...you're awesome!
And ah yeah...either we need to plan a trip down the river in Jackson next summer or a cruise in March right? Maybe we should do both! :)
Way to go Heather! It's such an accomplishment
Way to go! That is absolutely awesome! I don't think I could do it no matter how much I practiced. I just am not that much of a runner. :) Kudos to you!
It's all your fault! I have been listening to Mo-Tab Christmas today.
It was a lot of fun hanging and chatting and eating yummy food. I'm glad you invited me over! Thanks babe. I just love ya. P.S. You need to let me know how "Clueless" is. :)
First, cute shirts (James is the best). Second, I have the big date to go buy my running shoes and I'm getting my music put on my shuffle. I've been stretching like crazy because honestly my feet go numb when I run. All this so that when I give it (running) a try in my quest to be as awesome as you I don't want to have a bad first experience. Anyway, I'm seriously so, so impressed. Way to go!
Wow, Heather congratulations!! That is awsome. How long have you been running? What a great husband to do something so thoughtful.
My Emily loves your sister inlaw and brother they are her primary teachers.
Wow, Heather congratulations!! That is awsome. How long have you been running? What a great husband to do something so thoughtful.
My Emily loves your sister inlaw and brother they are her primary teachers.
Way to go, Heather! I'm so impressed!! And I love the t-shirts James made!
CONGRATS HEATHER! Oh my gosh, those shirts are HILARIOUS! That James, what a guy.
I am so proud of you, way to go!
Heather,, you freaking rock! I can't believe you did a 1/2 marathon! I wish I could run a mile! I'm so glad I found your blog. Mine is carolablackham.com.
Hey, I just found you through Carola's blog. I hope you don't mind me adding you to my blog.
I ran that 1/2 marathon too! I probably didn't see you because I was in the very back.
Post a Comment