The three of us before the race (Bethany, me, James)
Monday, January 19, 2009
Half Marathon #3/#1 Complete
What a fun race! We journeyed down to St. George this past weekend to do the half marathon there on Saturday. The weather was PERFECT at about 60, and we were ready. James was a little nervous thinking he wasn't fully trained since he had only run about 8 miles at the most. It was also his first half marathon so he wasn't sure what to expect. He ended up doing awesome! The course was so nice with not too many hills, and if there were hills, they didn't last very long. I highly recommend this race if you are thinking about doing one. It was my favorite out of the three I have done.
We wanted to pick up a bagel at a gas station before the race but couldn't find one at two different gas stations! Is that normal? I swear gas stations carry bagels, but I guess not. We had to get something, so we bought these disgusting pre-packaged muffins. We all choked down about 3 bites and couldn't eat anymore.What a way to start a race! I felt fine, it was just so funny. We talked most of the way and it was so fun to have James there with me. We all stuck together until about mile 11. James was going slow to stay with me, but I told him just to go because I was fine, and knew mentally I could do it on my own. He sped ahead and felt great all the way to the finish. I was so proud of him.
Bethany also went a little faster than me, but I was happy with my finish. Usually the last 2 miles I am spent and mentally have nothing left. This time I ran the last two miles without walking and even sprinted at the end. Mentally I kept pushing myself to just pass the person ahead of me or just keep running until the end of the song. My body felt good and I was really happy with my results. See, I am even smiling for the camera at the end! I can see huge progress from my first race until now. I still have a ton I can improve on, but I love the feeling that running gives me. I really do have a passion for it and can't wait to do my next race.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Congrats...that is so exciting! I will have to remember to try out that half marathon.
Just look at you go! Holy cow, Heather, how awesome! Someday I may have to try that. I guess I should start with a 10K and see how that goes first, though....
WOW, that is awesome!
Look at you, Miss Thang! Way to go!
You guys are awesome! It could only get better with me running with you :) Maybe someday we can do it together! Congrats!
You are my hero! Oh how I wish I could get my butt off the computer and RUN! You rock!
You are such a good example to me in running. I love how much you love it! Oh and how Jealous am I that you were in St. George?? I wanna go down to the sun and warm.. I would go even if I had to eat a gas station muffin.. :)
Way to go Heather! That is amazing that you can run that many miles. I think I would die:):) What a great accomplishment:)
Three races now huh? You really are quite the running pro now! Good for you and good for your hubby to finish too! Can't wait to hear about your marathon....:)
WOW! That is really all I can say... WOW! I hate to run. I have this theroy, you should only run if something is chasing you. I'm getting to the point that I wish I wanted to run, but I can't seem to get past that to the really wanting to point, make sense? Anyhow...good for you!
By the way, you have no idea how happy it made me to hear that you waved as you went by my little town. Next time you should stop in :) Monica
I am so proud of you three. I had no idea you just did a half marathon when I saw you at the book club! I am like a proud mama. Go Heather Go!
It's being written in blog world now....next January - I will plan on it. I have always wanted to do a half marathon! Yah for not a lot of hills! They kill my shins!
Great job, all of you!! You totally inspire me. I am serious about wanting to do a mini triathalon or something, and you are my inspiration!!
You're awesome!!!
You all look so good in that pre-race picture. All of the pictures actually. You're SO in shape and I love that you're already excited for your next race. I've done 10K's a bunch of times but at the finish line I'm not exactly looking forward to the next one. =o) You're so good!
Heather that is so great! I am so proud of you, that's amazing! I wish I was a runner...but I'm just not!
WAY TO GO HEATHER!!!!! :) I am so proud of you!! That is seriously so awesome!! :)
And James, of course! :)
congrats! u look so hot!
Post a Comment